Set in the heart of the UW–Madison campus on the main floor of the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, the Town Center links the private Morgridge Institute for Research and the publicly funded Wisconsin Institute for Discovery with the campus as a whole.
To ensure its role as a vibrant gathering place, the Town Center welcomes people of all ages and from all walks of life for educational and cultural programming, high-profile special events, scientific conferences and more. Broad-based community engagement is expected to extend the reach of Town Center programs and enhance benefits to the university and the public.
At the same time, the Town Center is designed with recognition of the private sector’s critical role in transforming breakthrough scientific discoveries into products, services, treatments and cures that improve everyday life and enhance human health and well-being. Through innovative partnerships with the business community, the Town Center aims to facilitate the exchange of ideas among scientists, entrepreneurs, corporate leaders and investors to accelerate the process of technology transfer.
In prioritizing its programs and activities, Town Center planners sought alignment with the strategic goals of UW–Madison and the mission of the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation. Specifically, programs and activities at the Town Center will further UW–Madison’s strategic efforts to:
- Provide an exemplary undergraduate education. The Town Center will involve undergraduates in a variety of ways through special events, committee participation and employment.
- Reinvigorate the Wisconsin Idea. The Town Center will create programs and learning opportunities that invite the community to engage with the university.
- Invest in scholarly domains in which the university has existing or potential strengths. By promoting programs that emphasize interdisciplinary work, the Town Center will strengthen intra-institutional ties.
- Recruit and retain the best faculty and staff. The Town Center will enrich campus life and serve as a resource to help recruit and retain the best faculty and staff.
- Enhance diversity to ensure excellence in education and research. The Town Center will embrace the work of successful campus programs that encourage diversity and student participation in all aspects of campus life.
- Be responsible stewards of resources. The Town Center is committed to green and sustainable practices ranging from the operation of its food venues to event management.
A Place for Everyone!
Town Center at the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery
A place to gather, share ideas and celebrate science, creativity and discovery.